Deviants! If you're running one of the previous alphas of Sentinel...here are alternate links to Beta 1 ...
If not then I think I'd better introduce it properly. Get ready for a long one
You gotta try it! It may be a bit uncomfortable at first but please give it a day at least, bit of a change is good for you
Some quick mentions...
- It was originally inspired by "The Sentinel" Windows Media Player skin by the The Skins Factory, I trust you all know where that is.
- Big thanks to all those Neowin(.net)ians, HardwareGeeks(.com) and others who've helped and encouraged me!!!
- The wallpaper was HEAVILY inspired by that wicked sphere at [link]
and by Hugo Boss (InMotion cologne) (not that I use it
- I think I've spent the longest time ever on this one!
- Sorry vertical taskbar users, it didn't make it to beta-1. Next release, promise!
- There are 14 color schemes most of them are based on a light color but a few, namely 'Black2', 'Deviant' and 'Graphite' are dark, greta at night but I don't recommend using them for too long...it'll affect your mood
- Some of the color schemes from the MMD3 Winamp3 skin match some of these color schemes really well
- The visual style is just about complete, still need to do vertical taskbar, logonUI cursors, shell32 animations and icons
- All the images have been optimized so don't worry about performance
I had to split the .msstyle into two cos my StyleBuilder compiles a max of 10 color schemes per .msstyle file.
You need to first install the 'Bank Gothic Medium BT' font (included)
There are two ways to run it,
1 - You can extract everything to a folder and go double-clicking all the .msstyle files and manually change color schemes and matching wallpapers or you can
2 - Extract all the .theme files and 'Sentinel_A' and 'Sentinel_B' folders to your %WINDIR%\Resources\themes\ folder and select the color schemes from Display Properties, this way is quicker but it takes up a lot of space on your themes list and you'll most probably loose your cursor and the default desktop icon settings
Here are the Commandments to obey when using Sentinel:
- Though shallt use ONLY Normal Size fonts
- Though shallt NOT use large icons in the quick launch area
- Use ClearType font smoothing, otherwise titlebar fonts look blocky
- Disable the 'Address' Toolbar from your taskbar cos it throws it off sync when you're using multiple-line taskbars.
- Disable the 'Language Bar' from the taskbar (ugly)
I really like it and I hope that you will too! Please post your opinions and be sure to let me know if you have any suggestions or bug reports.
If you're willing and able, any donations would be GREATLY appreciated! - [link]